Mabuza lays charges against man who called him a killer

Deputy President David Mabuza chairing the inaugural meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Land Reform at the Union Buildings, Pretoria. The Inter-Ministerial Committee on Land Reform is established by President Cyril Ramaphosa to provide political oversight and oversee the implementation of Cabinet decisions on Land Reform. 03/08/2018 Kopano Tlape GCIS

Pretoria – Deputy President David Mabuza has laid criminal charges of Crimen Injuria against Bishop Hangwi Maumela, an ANC member who was filmed calling the former a murderer and alleging that he is “sleeping around”.

A sworn affidavit signed by Mabuza, which Khuluma Afrika has seen, says Mabuza was shown two videos of Maumela making the remarks. The clips were filmed on Saturday 28 July during a public meeting held at Khotso Hall, Embanehle Extension 12 in Mpumalanga

Khuluma Afrika has seen the two videos in which Maumela proclaims his allegations.

“We need decent leaders, people with a vision, who have made it in life without killing other people… sleeping around and doing all sorts of things… We can’t have a murderer as deputy President and then have a girlfriend of a murderer as a premier” he says.

In response, Mabuza laid a charge of Crimen Injuria at Embalenhle Police Station, case number 109/08/2018.

Under South African common law, Crimen Injuria is a criminal offence defined as the act of “unlawfully, intentionally and seriously impairing the dignity of another.”

Speaking on video, Mabuza confirmed that he had opened a case and wanted all the allegations levelled against him to be tested in a court of law.

“I have opened a case”

Mabuza told Khuluma Afrika that the case would present an opportunity to settle longstanding allegations of murder and corruption, often levelled against him.

“These are serious allegations. Why do people talk about murder? If you insinuate that so and so killed a person without providing evidence, you are destroying a character or defeating the ends of justice”

“This is the best opportunity ever, for me, or whoever… Allegations that are meant to tarnish one’s image are not helpful, allegations that are not tested. I feel this is an opportunity.” 

Mabuza says he had been calling on people who have evidence of his wrongdoing to present it.

 “I have calling to say anyone who has got any proof, approach any court of law, so that we can test these allegations, and no one came forward, up until this one (Mahumela) came forward, after a period of 9 years or so.”

According to Mabuza, the leaders of the ANC have not discussed the matter.

President Ramaphosa’s spokesperson Khusela Diko’s cellphone went unanswered. She did not respond to questions sent to her via WhatsApp to confirm if the President was aware of charges and what his position was on the matter either.